Tuesday September 26, 2017 | 9 comments
A few weeks ago I wrote a post about high levels of arsenic in my blood. If you’ll recall, my home test of my favorite whole leaf green tea showed no traces of arsenic present.
I finally had my appointment with my environmental medicine doctor who was to help me figure out what to do about the arsenic. She wasn’t at all happy about a “home test” and urged me to have a recognized lab do the testing. I reluctantly did just that. Here were the results from my sample:
Test Code : N131 Test Name : Arsenic
Matrix : Tea Leaves
Analyte Result Units Note
Arsenic 101 µg/kg MDL: 13.3 µg/kg (ppb)
MDL= method detection limit
This showed a considerable level of arsenic. Needless to say, I was quite upset. I contacted the lab and spoke with the director. After much discussion, she concluded that the lab should have brewed the tea to determine an accurate accounting of arsenic that I actually consume with each cup. According to her explanation, the brewed tea may have considerably less arsenic and perhaps no discernible arsenic at all. Fingers crossed here.
I drop off my brewed sample on Wednesday. I will brew the tea at 185 degrees and steep it for 5 minutes. I typically steep my first cup for 1 and 1/2 minutes, my second cup at 2 minutes and my third cup 2-3 minutes. Sometimes I even have a fourth. I’d value any comments or suggestions. Needless to say, I’ve stopped drinking my green tea – the test will take 8 business days. I’m missing my tea fix tremendously.